Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Whigs w/ Company of Thieves @ Jewish Mother Backstage

the whigs-4815

the whigs-4855

I had seen The Whigs open for the Black Keys (Photos from that very show!) a few years ago at the NorVa and they were really fun. Now they are the main act supported by Company of Thieves. The show was great and the crowd was really into it. Most everyone who came knew the words and sang along. Those situations make for the best shows as the crowd feeds their energy to the artist who then turns it up to 11.

the whigs-4711

the whigs-4730

Company of Thieves really blew me away with how tight the performance was, they are a serious band not to be messed with. Incredible stage presence and I will definitely see them again sometime.

What I took away from this show is the power of an opening act. I found The Whigs when I went to see The Black Keys. I now happily know about Company of Thieves and will continue to follow them. I saw the MacGregor band open for The 2 Skinnee Js and followed them to a show in Baltimore, and they still hold it down as Wax and Herbal T on youtube. My current favorite touring band of all time, The Gay Blades, were on support for Sikamor Rooney.

I think it works in reverse as well, sometimes you can find a great band while supporting your local independents. Westbound opened for Gliss, came for the Westbound and stayed for the Gliss. So when I went to see Gliss when they came back to Norfolk, I met Stephen from Yesper and ended up filming a very impromptu accoustic session with him.

How many great bands have you discovered while they were supporting a larger band?

No comments:

Post a Comment