Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Titus Andronicus - Small Venues and Big Performances

titus andronicus-6779

I watched Titus Andronicus live on YouTube only one week prior to seeing them live in person. Their webcasted performance at Cochella was more than enough to get my hyped. I feel really fortunate to be able to see them at such an intimate venue as the Jewish Mother Backstage.

My very first concert was 311 at the Virginia Beach Amphitheater on their Blue album tour. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world to finally give some context to the disembodied sounds on my Walkman. Seeing musicians perform became a slight obsession to me at a young age. However my tastes became even harder to satiate as I started to go to smaller clubs and venues in college. Then one day it was all over when I saw a basement show guided only by a hand drawn hipster map. The smaller venues are so much better for me. I just cannot go to an outdoor amphitheater to watch a projection screen while I sit on a grassy knoll. It's just not me.

titus andronicus-6608

The opening act was a quirky and energetic band from Williamsburg called Digging up Virgins , you can download their latest EP here http://diggingupvirgins.bandcamp.com/ . They have a garagey and punky vibe. I'm hoping they will come down to the Southside more.

titus andronicus-6690

Dinowalrus was up next as Titus Andronicus's main support for their tour and they played a great show. They made a joke about being from Colonial Williamsburg, New York, which went over my head as I wondered why I had never heard of such a place.

titus andronicus-6881

Titus Andronicus really put their game face on as they just floored me. The enthusiastic chanting and crowd sing alongs also let me know that they impressed everyone else as well. The songs on the new album are so infectious. Each tune makes you want to sway in time, put your fist in the air, and sing along. So freaking good.

Check out Sam McDonalds Daily Press blog post because he writes much better than I do, and talks about Titus Andronicus' ties to the Hampton Roads area.


Check out my buddy Audie's blog because he takes better photos than I do. Seriously, he's one talented dude. www.AudieSumaray.com






No comments:

Post a Comment